Tuesday 5 June 2012

Present Ukrainian power decided to accept new language's law, allowing huge rights for languages of that national minorities, which consist 10% and more of all population in the region. In fact only Russian minority consists more than 10% of the population in some Ukraine's regions, and according to this new language's law Ukrainian language will not be obligatory in all state organizations, so Russian minority will have the right to use Russian language everywhere. That's why this law is called russification's law. Nowadays according to present Ukrainian Constitution Ukraine has one state language - Ukrainian and it's obligatory to know it and to use, especially in the state documents and organizations. But in fact Russian language is more spread in Ukraine, than Ukrainian, though Ukrainian language is native language of  Ukraine's ethnic nation - Ukrainians. Russian language is more present than Ukrainian in the private organizations and institutions, on the TV and in the newspapers and on the news sites in Ukraine and Ukrainian language is present a little bit more than Russian only in the state organizations, but that new law will change this small preference of Ukrainian language in Ukraine. Of course, Ukrainians understand why present Ukrainian power wants to accept such language law, because present Ukrainian power thinks more about Russian colleagues and about a friendship with Russia, than about Ukrainians. And Russia welcomes russification of its neighbours. For example, only 23% Belarusians speak Belarusian language and the majority of  Belarusians speaks Russian in Belarus according to Belarusian National census, taken in 2009. That is a result of great russification's politics of present Belarusian President A. Lukashenka. And of course, Russia is happy in any case, when Russian language spreads more and more in the world. Ukrainians don't want to lose Ukrainian language in their own state and that new languages' law will decrease the rights of Ukrainian language, though Ukrainian language is in the difficult situation now, because Russian is more spread language in business, on the TV, in Internet in Ukraine. I really think that Ukranian language needs a state protection in Ukraine. And I write it not only because I'm Ukrainian by the origin and am Ukrainian spoken citizen in Ukraine, but because Ukrainian needs a protection indeed, that humanity will not lose this language in the future. And if some politician will say about little rights of Russian language in Ukraine, I can tell my life stories of job interviews, which happened with me in Lviv in 2010-2012 years. Once I saw work's announcement about a creation of children's crosswords for one journal, I liked this idea and called in this journal to know the details of the work. They said me to write some examples of childrens' crosswords and to send them, what I actually did in Ukrainian language (well, there was no language's condition in that announcement and I thought about Ukrainian children's crosswords, of course). But in a few days they said me "Oh, but we need children's crosswords written in Russian, so we prefer others". And they didn't reply me why it wasn't written in the vacancy. Another time I went to a job interview of copywriter vacancy in one web-agency and there wasn't any language's condition too. And yeah, I thought only about writing in Ukrainian, because the firm situates in Lviv and isn't foreign and didn't write about obligatory knowledge of any foreign language in its announcement. Unbelievable, but do you know what I heard on the working inteview? I heard the next words "when you will work copywriter, you will write in Ukrainian and Russian, 50/50%". Stop, but why did you avoid these details in the announcement, I asked. But are any problems with your writing in Russian, they asked me. In fact they didn't like my small experience of using of Russian language in life and that my question too, and they took other person for that work. Other time I went to a job inteview of guide vacancy in one touristic firm, situated in Lviv, and it's not foreign firm. And practically one of the first questions which I heard was: "How often do you speak Russian? Because we organize excursions in the Western Ukraine and many people from others Ukrainian regions, including the Eastern and Southern Ukraine, like to travel in the western regions of Ukraine, but these people speak mainly Russian". And again, because I speak Russian rarely, this touristic firm prefered other person. But You know, in general I can't understand such strange position of the majority of Ukraine's touristic firms. Why do excursions must be held in Russian for Ukraine's citizens in Ukraine??? Yeah, I know that Russian language is more spread than Ukrainian in some regions of Ukraine, but that people even if know not very good, but they finally understand Ukrainian, so why Ukraine's touristic firms use Russian as obligatory in the work, it's a big question. But there is similar situation of the preference of Russian language in many spheres, especially in private businesses in Ukraine, unfortunately. And some politicians can say that Russian language needs state protection in Ukraine. How cynical they are!
Generally I thought again and again about the reasons of such situation, when people don't write in job's vacancies about obligatory knowledge of Russian language. Do all that people think about Russian like about necessary for every Ukrainian? Do they think that Russian just can't be foreign for Ukrainians and that Russian is like a second native language for all Ukraine's citizens? But who gave them a right to think in such way? My mother tongue is Ukrainian and if I think about foreign languages, I can say honestly that English is more native language for me than Russian, because I studied that language the most in my life and I just enjoy English. But it's foreign language for me, of course. Russian is also FOREIGN language and will be always foreign for me.
And like post scriptum I would like to describe first part of the voting for new language's law in Ukrainian parliament on June 5th, 2012, or maybe it's better to say "so-called voting". Just one example. On June 5th, 2012 the Head of Ukrainian Parliament Volodymyr Lytvyn was present in fact in the session hall of the parliament during the voting for new language's law, but parliament's screen showed the results of that voting and it was written on the screen that the Head of the Parliament Lytvyn was absent in the time of the voting. Incredible...

No comments:

Post a Comment